Friday, October 30, 2009

We've shifted house.

Again.

The good thing about this, of course, is sorting out the books. I'm taking my own sweet time over it, and I love it. There are so many different books, by so many different authors, and they each call out to me. I can't say I've read them all, but I want to - from the incredibly complex ones (like a dream interpretation book my brother left at home) to the racy, thriller sort or the cool Dollar western books.
What's interesting is that ANY good book teaches you something interesting - something you wouldn't know about before picking up that book. It could teach you something about yourself or something about the world. I remember an interesting Star Wars book which was discussing the religious philosophy of a warring alien species - it stated that the gods give us three gifts. The first is life, and is the least of their gifts; it is so that we may experience their works and their power. The second gift they give us is pain - a way for you to know that they exist, and a way for them to tell you their will and what they want of you. Pain is the teacher, the imperative, and the strength of the Gods - their method to communicate. The last gift they give us is Death - their greatest gift, and their freedom from life, and pain.
I don't particularly like life being denigrated so and death being glorified, but I agree with the general assessment of pain. Then, there's Digital Fortress by Dan Brown - it taught me never to put up anything private about blowing things up, because they can always catch you. Not exactly something that sets the gray cell synapses afire, but definitely interesting reading.
I'm reading a James Hadley Chase now - interesting opening, but waiting for it to develop. Some holiday this is turning out to be, in terms of relaxation; but I'm learning a lot, I have Ria, and there is parental bonding. :-)

Life's good.

1 comment:

revelsign said...

:-) (with nose)