Thursday, September 01, 2011

Rage Against the Machine.


We depend so utterly upon the machines in our life - how would be manage life without cellphones, laptops, the internet, or any of the other ubiquitous technologies that define life in our current age? But this post isn't about that - it's about something that's much grander, and far more important.

This post is about my skills in chess - more specifically, how I'm managing against my computer. So I've only ever played chess against my brother, other than a (very) few random matches here and there - occasions where I mostly had my ass handed to me, because when you only play chess against one person - you refuse to think that people can pull moves that he can't.

The game has always fascinated me, but I don't possess the patience to look two moves ahead, let alone the 15 or so required to be a truly good player. But I've been trying really hard to make some headway against the Chess thoughtfully provided in Windows 7. After running through levels 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 - I finally have a win-loss ratio on level 6 of 3:1. I'm quite kicked about this, even though it seems minor as I write about it now.

A painful combination of projects, work on various things, deadlines whooshing by and loads of stress has a regular response from me - indulging in music, my competitive spirit on trifles, and chatting with all and sundry. And clearly, writing Blog posts.

But this comes from a time where I was atleast trying - and it's damned fucking good to be back there. And yeah, it kicks ass to be able to beat the bastard computer at chess. Take that, programming. I'm not going to be predictable, I'm not going to be anticipated. I am human, and I'm going to do things my way.

1 comment:

Karma said...

That's awesome :) Good finish